Over-seeding your lawn can repair bare spots and and ensure that your lawn continues to thicken and develop a strong root system for the next growing season..Fall over-seeding will repair Summer insect and drought damage.
bare spots and lawn damage in need of over-seeding
after over-seeding, a thick, rich lawn ready to be walked on
For best results, seeding is generally a fall activity that is done following an aeration or verticutting. This will allow you to create a seed bed by loosening the soil with the aeration or verticutting, thus allowing you the most “seed to soil” contact, which is crucial to seed germination.
You can sow seed in Spring, but the best time to over-seed is in the Fall. By following the nature life cycle of most grasses, which go to seed during summer and then germinate in the early Fall, you will get the best, most vigorous stands with the least competition from weeds and insect pests and avoid the chances of newly seeded grass from getting burnt in the hot Summer months.
Hydroseeding is a grass planting process which utilizes a slurry of seed and mulch sprayed over prepared ground. It is an alternative to the traditional process of broadcasting or sowing dry grass seed. The slurry contains additional ingredients including fertilizer, tackifying agents and green dye.
Hydroseeding is an effective and efficient way to create a new lawn. It leaves a attractive green surface that covers the bare soil and prevents erosion. Because the seed is germinated at the time of application, growing starts immediately and grass can appear in just a few days. It is especially effective for use on hillsides and hard to get at areas.
Advantages of Hydroseeding
- If planting a relatively large area, hydroseeding can be completed in a very short period of time.
- Hydroseeding can be very effective for hillsides and sloping lawns to help with erosion control and quick planting.
- Hydroseeding will typically cost less than planting with sod, but more than regular seeding.
- Results are often quick with high germination rates producing grass growth in about a week with mowing maintenance beginning around 3-4 weeks from the date of application.
- Fiber mulch accelerates the growing process by maintaining moisture around the seeds thereby increasing the rate of germination.
- Hydro seeding has an attractive green appearance that looks far better than lawns dry seeded and covered with straw mulch.
- Unlike straw that is often used as a protective cover for a newly seeded area, hydroseeding mulch has NO weed seed. Straw is loaded with weed seed.
Call us to get a quote on over-seeding or hydroseeding